Content is one of the most important ranking factors in organic search optimisation today. It’s usually referenced alongside links and technical SEO as one of the three pillars crucial to success.
Generating success is not easy, with an ever-growing number of publishers battling for positions on search engines, defining a content strategy is crucial for the success of your website.
Good content strategies often include a large amount of front-loaded work such as;
- keyword research; define & group priority keywords for your site
- competitor analysis by understanding what your competitors target and rank for it is easier to determine the feasibility for a site like yours to rank and what your expected position might be. Competitor research can also help you identify keywords to target.
- content specs; create content plans for each specific subject within each topic or vertical
- defined tone of voice although not always crucial for every site, a uniform approach to creating content can ensure the quality of the pieces you produce is consistent.
- a defined internal linking strategy ensure your content links to relevant and useful pages elsewhere on your website. Content today is very often about helping users achieve their goals, rather than simply targeting a set of keywords that you want to rank for.
- collaboration with content writers SEOs and content managers need to collaborate to get the best results from content for both users and search engines. Whether you are defining titles for your long copy content or defining which is the most important page to link to from a guide SEOs should be on hand to collaborate with your writers.
- ongoing performance tracking, assessment and continued re-optimisation no matter what people tell you, no content strategy can really be considered “evergreen”. To truly succeed in SEO your content should be fluid and dynamic. Google as a search engine loves “fresh” content, so monitoring performance and re-optimising pieces ongoing is crucial to holding those positions that you achieved with the initial phase of your content strategy.
- link building & outreach although every piece of content should be high quality because that way it will gain links naturally, content without links is like binoculars with the lens caps left on. A defined outreach strategy for your highest priority content pieces can help get your content to perform in search.
Creating content which ranks well in search engines today, is an exciting and engaging process.
The benefits of a carefully planned and executed content strategy include;
- traffic and real term visitor growth to your website
- better contextual experiences for users
- both of which can increase conversions
- variation of targeting to new verticals or topics to diversify your business coverage
- improved Expertise Authority and Trust (specifically within Google’s ranking algorithm).
- internal linking possibilities (more links to your important pages from a higher number of relevant pages)
- linking potential – acquire backlinks without actively outreaching content
- freshness boosts for pages with fresh content added
Help Users Achieve Goals
The secret to great content is no secret. Help your users complete their goals quickly and effectively.
This is what truly great content offers. Pieces that are centred on fully meeting the needs of the user stand a much greater chance of acquiring links, visitors and achieving a strong ranking position in search engine indexes than content which doesn’t.
How Search/Natural can help
Here at Search/Natural we can help. We are experts in planning and implementing content strategies and can help your business.
- Research and identify keywords your site should target
- Combine these keywords into an opportunity analysis so you can see the biggest revenue opportunities alongside how difficult it will be to rank for that set of queries.
- Define page-level spec sheets for content writers to follow so you can be confident your whole team is on board with SEO prioritisation.
- Work with your writers to create a tone of voice and be on hand to answer any SEO content best practice queries they may have.
- Assess performance and changes to the rankings of your existing content so that you have clarity over what you important content is, how we can grow the performance and which other subjects can be grown in to.
- Create a link building and outreach strategy specific to your brand which can get your content seen by readers and ranking in search engines.