SEO can be a powerful marketing method for wealth managers and financial advisors looking to grow their business website and expand their client base.
Here is how SEO for wealth management can help you reach your business goals if you’re in the financial industry and how you can use your expertise to generate clicks, leads and clients through your website.
If you’re a larger finance brand or FinTech business get more tips on handling SEO for financial services industry websites here.
How to create a Search Engine Optimisation strategy for a wealth management business
First, you’ll want to think about what your wealth management company offers, what benefits your clients might have over using your services versus one of your competitors and think about your skills, expertise and qualifications that enable you to do your job effectively.
These are some of the most important methods for creating a content strategy to help propel your website forward.
- Benefits & value you offer clients; by considering the benefits that you offer clients, you’ll more easily be able to define the value that your services provide. Think about how you might offer value by providing investment options for clients who are unsure of what to invest in. For another client, you may be able to help them increase tax efficiency with your knowledge of company taxation.
- Methods and ways that you do this; think about the methods, strategies and approaches that you use to help generate value for your clients. Is the process for setting up investments to earn a return in 5 years considerably different from setting up a pension that won’t be used for another 30 years? If so, providing some insight into how each of the processes works can help your clients understand how you work and help them to feel confident in using your services.
- Funds, investments and markets that you use to help clients manage their finances; talking about the markets, funds and types of investments that you use can help clients trust that you have the relevant up to date knowledge to help your clients maximize the returns on their investments.
- Your expertise; your training, your qualifications and your experience; detailing these on your website will help prove your qualifications and help reassure your clients that you are fully trained in offering investment advice, tax efficiency assistance and pension management.
- Who have you helped in the past with wealth management and financial advice; customer testimonials and client reviews are invaluable to your business. If you’ve helped someone achieve their goals then you should ask them if they can provide a review.
- Your knowledge; of tax laws in your country of operation, and how you help clients achieve tax efficiency and maximize returns while minimizing financial risk.
- Your approach; what do you do differently than your competitors?
- What can you offer as a smaller business that your competitors cannot match?
- What, as a larger company, is more beneficial about your approach over small competitors. This depends on the size of the organisation you work for. If you’re a smaller, independent financial advisor, you may be able to offer clients personalised service, and frequent face to face catch ups. If you’re a larger organisation, you may want to reference your years of experience.
Explaining the services, benefits and value of your work as well as your past experiences of dealing with clients will help your potential new clients decide if your service is the right fit for their needs and their preferences.
Research Keywords that help you define your wealth management business
When you have your USPs (unique selling points), service benefits, methods, knowledge, expertise and experience examples in mind, find keywords that help you reflect your expertise on your website.
Your visitors will then see, through the website content you produce, how qualified you are to help them.
Finding keywords can help you understand the types of information your website visitors will be expecting to see when they’re searching for topics relevant to your business and service.
Once you have a list of keywords, you can categorise them into a relevant bucket that reflects your various services.
Examples of Financial Advisor Keywords
Consider target keywords like these to help you build out your SEO strategy.
|pension consultant||pensions||someone looking for a pension consultant|
|Inheritance tax advice||tax||someone seeking inheritance tax expertise|
|corporate tax planning||tax||business tax planning advice|
|how to invest||investing||looking for information on investing|
|personal financial planning||Financial planning||looking for personalised financial planning tailored to their situation and their needs.|
|wealth management consultant||wealth management||Someone looking for wealth management consultancy|
With categorised keywords, you’ll be able to understand what types of pages and the topic of your blog posts you need to include to help your website gain organic search rankings.
The content you produce doesn’t always have to be long form written content, more than ever before, video is proving to be an incredibly effective content type to boost SEO.
In addition to video, a combination of; images, graphs, data tables and infographics as well as long detailed text content can help your potential clients understand the services you offer and give them the information they need to feel confident in your services and expertise.
Pay attention to keyword difficulty to avoid trying to rank for keywords that your website lacks the authority to successfully achieve a ranking for.
Here are a few SEO tips for financial advisors looking to tackle SEO themselves.
Create High Quality Content that Explains What you do and the Value you Offer
Create content around the topical areas that your business excels in. If you’re an expert in financial planning for retirement and inheritance tax then create content that helps to explain these ideas to your visitors.
You can use your content and SEO efforts to select the types of clients you would prefer to work with based on their needs and your expertise.
Your content can benefit users by highlighting the benefits of your approach while allaying fears of turbulent markets and explaining the risks and limitations of short term investments in the current market climate.
An effective content strategy is one of the most effective on page SEO strategies.
Those keywords you researched and categorised before will be useful during the content production phase too.
Use relevant keywords across content, especially in URL slugs, headings (H1s are especially important), title tags for pages and meta descriptions, as well as including them within your content.
You can be liberal with keywords, but avoid keyword stuffing and focus on adding value to your content to help your users.
Build Authority in Your Website
By focusing elements of your financial advisor website on your financial management expertise and authority, you are already thinking about some of the critical elements that you need to help ensure search engines trust your site as an authority in the space.
Some of the easiest ways to build authority in your website as a wealth management business are;
Getting links from external sites that point users towards your website; if you’re a small or new business thinking about how you can get links from other websites in the local area, you could offer to sponsor a sports club or event for coverage of your business or approach your governing organisation and request a link from them.
If you’re a larger website or looking to appeal to a national brand, like JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs, then you’ll want to consider how to scale your link building out to gain press links, links from where your audience is and related sites. This will likely take dedicated resources.
Whether you’re a small business or a large established financial planner, high quality links are some of the most valuable elements you can get to help rank your website. Link acquisition is known as off page SEO.
You can also look at building out your google business profile page adding company information, staff details, meeting booking times and more.
Gather reviews, testimonials and feedback from customers to help reassure potential new customers that you offer the best service.
Authority can help search engines determine where to rank your website more efficiently and as a Y.M.Y.L website, you will need to prove your expertise and authority before you can expect to rank.
Expertise, authority and trust are critical for Y.M.Y.L brands, here’s how to improve E.A.T on your website.
Technical SEO Tips for Financial Advisors
You will want to make sure your technical website offering is up to scratch, this includes critical elements like;
Mobile friendly pages; ensure our website and all of the content on your pages loads and is visible like it is on the desktop version of your site. Most common website builders like WordPress and Squarespace do this by default. However, if you’re using a custom admin platform, it is worth checking. Load your site on mobile devices of varying sizes to check how each element of your website looks. Sometimes, content can be lost when web pages are loaded on smaller mobile screens.
Structure your website effectively; build your website so that you can structure your content around your most important packages and services. If you’re a wealth manager specialising in tax efficiency for personal and business finance you may want to create a section dedicated to tax efficiency. If you’re a pensions expert, you can create a pension section. If you do both, create both and add internal linking from tax efficiency to pensions to help users understand how pensions can be a key tool for tax efficient investing.
Page speed; search engines like fast websites that give users quick answers to their queries. ensure your website loads content quickly and effectively. The more slowly your website loads, the more likely users are to navigate away. Try to work on the speed of your website with your technical team to ensure it is effective.
A slow loading website can offer users a poor experience and mean they seek information about your financial business and services elsewhere.
Core web vitals have become part of Google’s organic search ranking system for websites. Effective websites don’t delay the load of the main content on a page.
Schema markup; select a relevant schema for your website as a local business or an organization using schema.org instructions. Schema isn’t a huge ranking factor, but it does help search engine algorithms understand the content on your website.
Choose URLs carefully; when you’re writing your content, ensure that you use relevant keywords within your URLs. Like you do with title tags and page titles (H1 elements) you should use keywords within the URL slugs of your pages.
Title tags & meta descriptions; Use keywords within your meta description tags, title tags and your H1s as well as on page subheaders. Use keywords as part of your content liberally but focus on answering the query rather than repeating it back at the user.
Prioritise what is a user looking for who asks the question rather than including KWs for the sake of it.
Focus on Local SEO if You’re a Smaller Wealth Management Firm
You will want to prioritise local SEO if your financial planning business is new, small or in the process of scaling up your digital offering.
Local SEO for wealth managers and financial advisors will include;
- Google business profile optimisation
- Google maps business listing optimisation
- Directory and localised link building efforts
- Region based search query capture; i.e. identify searchers in your area looking for; “wealth management near [region]” or “financial planning in [county]”
- Gaining Google reviews and client testimonials
Once you have established yourself in your locale, you’ll be able to continue growing your marketing efforts to reach more clients in different locations or focus on maintaining your position within your region.
Local searches can yield powerful results.
They are often no less valuable than national search queries but they’re generally lower volume so won’t deliver so much volume that smaller organisations cannot cope with.
Find an SEO Consultant
SEO for financial advisors can be made easier with the help of the right SEO consultant.
If you’re a large site, you have lost considerable amounts of website traffic or if you’re unsure what any of the above means, then you may want to consider speaking to an expert enterprise SEO specialist.
SEO specialists can help you;
- Define goals and set expectations for what your business can achieve
- Help you track and measure your existing performance and improvements as your site grows
- Seek out opportunities for you to develop content and webpages
- Solve problems, identify why traffic has been dropped and how to recover this.
We can help you create an effective SEO strategy.
We’re a business with experience working with financial services companies and wealth managers and a proven track record of SEO success.
Organic search rankings can be fickle but we can help you create an SEO strategy based on the services you offer and the direction that you want your business to go in.
If you have a great record matching your clients with pensions or are an expert in tax efficiency for business owners, we can help you develop and plan a content strategy around these areas to grow traffic and leads interested in receiving these services from you.
Check out our SEO services page and contact us if you’d like to discuss how we can help you and your business.